Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Dressing up an entire wall with wainscoting! Say WHAT?


When we moved into our house our a 50" flat screen T.V took up a pretty large portion of our now tiny living room. I was suddenly not impressed by the massive size of this beast as it became the focal point of my darling new living room. Because of the layout of my living room there is only one place that the T.V. can actually go. Unfortunately, the T.V. is the only thing that can go on that wall. I realized that there really wasn't anything I could hang on the wall that wouldn't look completely out of place. Was I doomed to have a giant T.V. as a focal point and a bare wall behind it? Of course, this didn't bother my man one bit! Isn't every man's dream to have a giant T.V. in every room? Or is it just my man's dream?  Anyhoo, a few weeks after I moved in I saw a wainscoting picture like this one.
I loved the look of this wainscoting but I knew that just doing half a wall wasn't going to take care of my problem. So I decided that the whole wall needed to be wainscoted. Luckily I had some people working on the basement at the time and I ran my ideas by them. They LOVED the idea and stopped everything they were working on to tackle my wall. It took them half of a day and cost me about $120 in lumber (we used poplar). I could have done this myself but my guys charged me only $75 to put it up and that was well worth it! Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the work in process but I do have this one, (which was taken at Zachy's 3rd birthday party) just look past the smiley people.
I LOVE the results and every time someone new comes over they always gush over the wainscoting. I contemplated  painting the boards a different color than the wall. That could look really cute and someday I might do that but for now its all one color. See for yourself and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment